May 11, 2015

 photo IMG_4946_zpsu0k4bbvg.jpg
Psalm 11

"In the Lord I take refuge;
how can you say to my soul,
'Flee like a bird to your mountain,
for behold, the wicked bend the bow;
they have fitted their arrow to the string
to shoot in the dark at the upright in heart;
if the foundations are destroyed,
what can the righteous do?' "
As I go through my day, many voices tell me to run and hide. The voice of Satan, other people, even my very self, tells me that God might not be fully aware of my circumstances right now, so I'll probably need to look out for myself and take cover while I still can.
I probably need to nag my husband one more time about fixing the car, because God might not have noticed that it's broken. And I probably need to spend the whole day worrying about how I'm going to accomplish the entire month's activities, because if I don't worry about those things then who will?
But that's not how I'm supposed to live.
I'm supposed to send my mind and my heart to take refuge in the Lord.
Why?
Because "The Lord is in his holy temple;
the Lord's throne is in heaven;
his eyes see, his eyelids test the children of man."
1. He is holy
2. He is King
He is both Good and Sovereign. His eyes see every minute detail of my life. They see my soul wandering in the wasteland of my desperate, anxious, busyness. And in their gracious wisdom they 'test' me. They see what is in my heart, and they want to expose it so I see it too.
Unbelief.
Which leads to unrest.
"The Lord tests the righteous,
but his soul hates the wicked and the one who loves violence."
It is an incomprehensibly loving thing that He does.
This testing, this discomfort, that reveals my unbelief and leads me to trust and rest again.
He heals me, not my world.
It is me He wants to change, not my circumstances.
If He did not love me, He would certainly leave me to my own fatal devices.
"For the Lord is righteous;
he loves righteous deeds;
the upright shall behold his face."
To behold His face.
That is the great and gracious gift that He longs for me to lay hold of.



No comments:

Post a Comment